When reading Vandana Shiva: Our Violent Economy is Hurting Women I was really shocked by the numbers given in the beginning. I knew that the rape culture in the world was growing, but I didnt know that it was growing that fast and that it was that large. There were 24,206 cases in 2011. And those are just the cases that were reported. How many more are out there? How long will we let this go on for? Is changing our economy really going to help that much?
-Nicole
I wonder weather its a changing economy that is raising rape around the world or weather it is the changing society? Could rape be rising because men who have been taught they were going to have certain privileges grow up to not have those privileges and act out against women who they see as inferior? Some men may be acting out in violent ways because the world is no longer as unequal in their favor as it once was.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. This article was completely shocking, and made me feel extremely naive when thinking about our world. I also found what an impact the economy and women's roles play when talking about violent issues such as rape.
ReplyDelete