Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I really enjoyed Persepolis, it was a very educational about Iran. I have never taken a world history course, which has always bugged me, so I was really happy to learn more about a non western country. What was happening in Iran in the 1980 was really scary and the way they treated women has a lot of similarities to the covert sexism in our own country. Like when they said that the sight of hair would make men excited and that's why women must cover up. I love how the story was really written through the eyes of a preteen rather then an adult telling a child story. I would also love to also read a similar story coming from the perspective of a lower class girl with less privilege.
~Heather Self

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making the comparison between the "covert sexism" in the U.S. to some of the sexism Satrapi writes about in the novel. I agree, it would be really interesting to read about the life of someone with less privilege. How do you think privilege affects whose stories we ultimately get to hear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satrapi had the privilege of coming from a very educated family and also going to greats school growing up. This greatly effects her opinions on the political climate of her own countries and her education about what was happening. It also made it a lot easier for her to write a book like this, that with out her education and social class she may never had had the opportunity to share her story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the fact that this story was told through the eyes of a young girl. It's not too often we get to experience a story through such a young child's eyes. It fascinates me the detail she is able to remember and not missing and single event. However, I could not imagine being a fourteen year old girl forced to move to a foreign country alone, that by itself is mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete