Tuesday, February 4, 2014
I really liked the article, "The Cult of Virginity". It made a lot of good points about how virginity is a societal construct. I enjoyed that the anther, Jessica Valenti, attempted to find a medical definition of virginity and used the lack of one as part of her argument. I do wish she had gone more in to how their is no way to tell if someone is a virgin or not and the myths behind losing ones virginity from a medical stand point. There is a lot of miss information about virginity even in some college classes. I also liked that she pointed out that the concept of virginity is very heteronormative and leaves a lot of individuals in the queer community questioning what constitutes them losing their virginity or having sex at all. I would have liked if she had spent some more time talking about the double standard between men and women where sex is concerned but I thought this was a very good article over all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I as well found it very interesting when Jessica tried to define the word "sex". It's clear that the word "sex" has multiple meanings to various people. With that being said it's sort of ironic how much society judges someone based on where they stand and their views with sex. To some, a girl who wants to remain a virgin could be labeled as a prude, with negative connotation, as if it's bad to save yourself. When to some the thought of having sex should be out of the question. Furthering on this topic, I feel she made a great point when addressing the gay community, this point just proves that their isn't a universal definition of sex, making it impossible for these labels and stereotypes to have any real meaning behind them.
ReplyDeleteI agree, without a clear definition of "sex", everything is up to one person's interpretation. As it was said in the movie where some of the girls who had pledged their purity found loopholes by not engaging in stereotypical "sex". However, in some minds, that would qualify for not being a virgin anymore. The whole purity movement just confuses me to begin with. I get that some want to be pure for their future husbands/partners, but then again if that person loves you and wants to spend the rest of their life with you, should it really matter that much??
DeleteHeather made the original post.
ReplyDelete