Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I had a few problems with the articles for this week, specifically The Five Sexes, Revisited by Anne Fausto-Starling and X: A Fabulous Child's Story.
Anne Fausto-Starling did a good job talking about intersex people and some of the problems they face; but in the one paragraph she devoted to transgender individuals she made it painfully obvious that she has never talked to many trans* people about the problems they face. The first problem with this paragraph is the use of the word "transgendered" this word is grammatically incorrect. By adding the "ed" to transdender Fausto-Starling is implying that those who are transgender have not always been transgender. This makes it seem like trans* individuals wake up one day feeling completely different in their gender then they had the day before. The paragraphy goes from bad to worse as Fausto-Starling attempts to give an example of a transgender person. Fausto-Starling uses an example of Jane, and doesn't bother to touch on the problems being trans* may have caused her. Instead she uses the example to talk about Jane’s genitals and sex life. Fausto-Starling writes, “Jane takes hormones to feminize herself, but they have not yet interfered with her ability to engage in intercourse as a man”. There are multiple problems with this sentence the first being that Jane is a woman married to another woman, she does not engage in intercourse as a man. She does however engage intercourse as a woman, as that is what she is. The other major problem with Fausto-Starlings statement is the fact that she has no need to go in to Jane’s sex life. She could have talked about Jane’s life experiences or other difficulties trans* individuals face on a day to day biases, but instead she feels the need to tell her readers how Jane has sex with her wife. I for one will never understand why straight people seem to be so obsessed with how queer people have sex. Fausto-Starling has obviously been had a lot of experience with intersex individuals and the problems they face in a binary society, but she seems to have never talked to a trans* person about how being trans* has affected their lives.
The problem I had with X: A Fabulous Child’s Story is very similar to the first problem I had with The Five Sexes. The story uses “it” to refer to a child with no gender, this is not only grammatically incorrect but has very problematic implications. “It” is not a pronoun and cannot be used as one; we use “it” to refer to object and animals, which are not self-aware and not classified as people. By referring to this child as “it” the author is both objectifying and dehumanizing them. This is completely unexcitable to do to a person, especially a child. If you don’t know someone’s gender there are plenty of gender neutral pronouns available to choose from, including but not limited to, them and their, and ze and zim. If the author Lois Gould just used the proper pronouns this would have been a very good article, as it is I found myself cringing through most of it.

-Heather

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Fausto-Starling should have read up on how she should address people of different genders, that was just disrespectful of her. Also, you're right, she shouldn't have to go into Jane's sex life and define her only by that. However, I can see why she did try to explain it. As you said, straight people do seem to have a fascination with how queer people have sex and engage in sexual activities, so it was almost as if she was trying to appeal to that type of reader. I'm not saying it was right, just that I could see the reasons. Also, I completely agree with you about the X child. Calling anyone an "it" is just degrading to anyone being called it, we call things "it" when it is seen as inferior to humans on the scale of intellect, such as animals and objects. Which in the end is just insulting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your argument about the past tense of the word transgender. Your post brought to my attention of the political incorrectness. I feel that people who don't experience the feeling of being in the wrong body don't truly understand, or have the right to pass judgement or really discuss the pains and difficulty that transgender people go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments about the value of using the "correct" pronouns, Heather and Jess. I do want to point out that the Gould story was written in the early 1970s and the Fausto-Sterling article was published in 2000. Gender terms and pronouns continue to develop as we think and learn more about the meanings and experiences of gender as more than the simple male/female binary. Did you find anything useful in this articles even though the language was frustrating at times?

    ReplyDelete